Meet JSKI's Instructors: Jay




Hello!

I’m Jay, a ski instructor at JSKI. I am a full-time ski instructor based at Alpensia and Vivaldi Park Ski Resort. 

My first experience skiing was when I was in elementary school. Skiing was a hobby of mine until I first started working as an instructor at Konjiam Resort. Because I was a student at the time, I began as a part-time ski instructor.



During my three years at Konjiam resort, I usually taught Korean students. When I got the opportunity to teach foreigners who visited Korea to ski, I thought it was refreshing and meaningful to assist them in English. I found out that I had a natural talent in teaching foreign visitors how to ski, and this led to excellent reviews from my students. I concluded that becoming a full-time ski instructor was a fitting career path for me. 



The following year, I joined JSKI, a ski school that instructs in English and Chinese. I started teaching lessons at Vivaldi Park. It has been six years since I joined JSKI and spent my wintertime with the team. The company that started with just a few employees developed into a bigger school with foreign instructors who are able to communicate in multiple languages.




During the winter, I meet with our clients then teach the morning and afternoon lessons. Afterward, I self train or coach the new instructors and help them level-up. By nighttime, I enjoy preparing dinner and sharing my culinary creations or socializing with my coworkers at a restaurant. Before I go to bed, I share any photographs or videos I have of my clients on Dropbox and communicate with them on WhatsApp. After introducing myself to my new students on the app, I wrap up the day. 

Because I love everything about skiing, I enjoy diversifying my skills. I am knowledgeable in various types of skiing:

(1) Glade skiing 

Glade skiing is alpine skiing through trees off-trail or on a defined woods trail. Glades are variously sought for their solitude, beauty, or caches of ungroomed powder. The woods also tend to hold better snow longer thanks to the shade and shelter trees provide.  I’m looking forward to helping you develop your skills to safely and gracefully enjoy glade skiing.
 


(2) Mogul Skiing


Moguls are the mounds or bumps that form on a run when skiers and boarders push the snow into piles as they make turns.  It’s a really good challenge to learn to ski moguls, and I can show you many ways to stay balanced and learn to work with your skis and the bumps to make your turns smooth, exciting, and fun.



(3) Alpine GS

Giant slalom (GS) is an alpine skiing and alpine snowboarding term that comes from racing.  It refers to turns that are medium to long in size. For these turns to be as efficient as possible, it is important for movements to be accurate and well-timed.  I have many ways to help you learn to use your skis very well as tools when doing GS.




I think having fun is very important when teaching skiing. Not everyone dreams of being a professional athlete, so the first ski lesson should be entertaining to make them want to come back and continue to develop their skills. When I teach, I make sure my lessons are exciting and concise. I use the time on the ski lifts for verbal instructions and the time on the slopes for action to make the most of your lesson.



My most memorable student was a four-year-old from Hong Kong. He came to Korea with his parents, and I gave him a one-on-one lesson. He was the youngest and smallest student I have ever taught, so I had to squat down a lot to help him with his positioning. By the time the class was almost over, I was proud to see that my student was able to come down the slope without holding my hand. The parents were supportive of the student every time he came by the bottom of the slope, and the student made sure to never give up and had a wonderful time skiing. 


When the ski season in Korea ends, I go to Niseko United at Hokkaido, Japan. Because they are open until April, I am able to train for one more month there. It would be lonely to go training on my own, but going with my JSKI family allows me to have more fun and prepare for the new and returning students who will visit us the next ski season. This makes me train extra hard.




After my training in Japan is over, I take a break during the month of May. I spend a lot of time with my family, read books, and enjoy the long-awaited warmth of the sun. I like to hang out with my friends during the weekend. I also like to dance, and I practice K-Pop cover dances with my friends.




During June and July, I visit my friends in Hong Kong, Singapore, and the Philippines. We first met as students and instructor, but skiing together year after year allowed us to naturally become great friends. We get a meal together, grab some beer, go bowling, enjoy bike rides, and do lots of entertaining things together in their country. It is especially rewarding to see my friends’ kids grow up every year I visit them, and I look forward to seeing them again in the winter.



A message to this winter season’s customers:

I’ve witnessed many families or couples spend their short winter vacation to go skiing in Korea on a cheap ski package. Time is too precious to spend your winter vacation just lingering on the snow! Although there are cheaper ski tours that cost about $40 to $70, those tours do not have instructors who are as professional or fluent in English as I am. These ski tours have one guide who teaches twenty different students, and it is difficult to assess each person’s skills at that ratio. From my experience, I believe learning how to ski from someone like me can really make a difference in improving your skills and making your winter vacation memorable. Whether it is your first time or second time skiing, I recommend that you come to Korea to ski with me this winter. If you are traveling with your family, you can trust that I will refine your kids’ technique help them have a blast. I am looking forward to making your winter vacation exceptional.

Sincerely,

Jay
Text us on
WhatsApp, Kakaotalk, and Line at
+82) 10 63547963

No comments:

Post a Comment